Thursday, November 13, 2008

Earn Extra Cash with SEO

Let me start out by saying that I am not a Search Engine Optimization wizard. A year ago I barely even knew what SEO stood for, now I know that you can earn extra cash using SEO.

How did I learn about SEO? I did a lot of research online, SEO is mentioned all over the place – often cryptically with people implying that you can get rich using it. However few people actually get to the heart of what search engine optimization is, how it works and most importantly – how you can use it to earn extra cash! I gathered bits of pieces of data together and was getting a foggy picture of what SEO meant, but then I found an important blog written by a man by the name of Grizzly Brears.

His site on how to make money online for beginners was one heck of an eye opener. Unlike all the other sites I’d researched that did a lot of big talk but seemed to fizzle out before you got to anything of substance – Grizzly actually provided the goods. He shows you how to earn money online. He writes his posts in such a way that as he is teaching you how to make money – he is earning money!

While he is the first to put down his own writing, I have to say that he is fantastic at what he does. He cuts through the crap with a laser focus and tells you what works. He’s one of these guys that is constantly tweaking what he does, taking note of what does and doesn’t work. He’s the type of guy that doesn’t buy into anything without checking the merits out for himself. He writes long posts for a reason, he has shared with us that the longer the posts, the more keywords you can put in without being flagged as spam by the search engines. You can also stumble upon long tail keywords related to your main keywords that you may otherwise never have discovered – good to know.

Grizzly Brears is a heck of a guy. Rather than sit on his hoard of gold coming in each week from Adsense, he’s actually helping others to earn extra cash. There are some people that read his posts and think that he comes across as a braggart – because he often shows screenshots of the hundreds or thousands of hits he’s getting in a single day, or the amount of money he’s earning – but I’ve never felt that way. This guy is willing to share his expert knowledge for free – and his screenshots are what he’s using to back up that he knows what he’s talking about. I suppose if you’re already earn extra cash online that you can ignore what he has to say...

I’ve subscribed to his make money online for beginners blog, and I recommend that you do too. This post is about SEO and you might be wondering – hey, how am I supposed to earn extra cash writing using SEO when this guy is only gushing over someone else’s blog? Well the best SEO advice I can give you is for you to get free advice from an SEO master like Grizzly Brears. Check out his site, and like he says grab a cup of coffee and do some reading so you can learn how to make money online for beginners for free.

I’ve taken what I can from Griz and applied it to this blog (you may notice a slight resemblance to his blog after you visit his). This entire blog on how to earn extra cash writing is an exercise for me to apply the principles that Griz has taught me. Where Griz and I part company is that while Griz claims to not like to write much – I do like it. Wherever I can, I will share writing tips and insights over and above the solid internet marketing advice I learn from Griz. Hey – it never hurts to read things twice, I’m putting what I’ve learned into my own words and maybe the way I write it makes more sense to you than what he writes, or vice versa. All that really matters is that you learn the tricks of the trade and apply them to start to earn extra cash.

For those of you that came here to read how to earn extra cash writing using SEO, I’m not going to abandon you. Here are some of the best pointers I’ve learned from Griz on how to optimize your content for the search engines. Griz – if you’re reading this and I screwed something up or the info has since changed – please feel free to show me the error of my ways. Here it goes:

  • Have your main keyword in your URL
  • Have your main keyword in your titles for each article (at the start if possible)
  • Use your keyword in the first and last sentence of your post
  • Link your keyword in the first sentence of your post to your blog home page
  • Bold your keyword or use it as a heading when possible (but don’t overdo it!)
  • Use your keyword around 5 or 6 times per 100 words

These are great ways to further optimize your site for the search engines which will translate to more traffic and higher earnings, assuming you’ve monetized your blog. If so, you’ll be well on your way to earn extra cash writing using SEO as outlined above.

Lastly, I just want to personally thank Grizzly Brears for his site and inspiration. There were many times were I felt like I was either overwhelmed with information and didn’t know what the next step should be; then I’d read something he wrote and feel so inspired that I would get fired up to keep trying. He writes with such conviction about how it is possible to earn extra cash online, there’s not a shred of doubt in his mind because he’s living it. When you’re starting out, there’s plenty of doubt that you’re not going to be able to pull it off – but Griz always managed to give me such hope (with the screen shots of his earnings) that I could also achieve success with writing content online.

While right now I’d be happy to make even a quarter of what he’s making with his blogs, I feel that it is entirely possible for me to one day rank right up there with him. Lots can happen, and with Griz for a teacher anything is possible. The same goes for you too! As Griz points out, there are tens of thousands of keywords out there, and even he can’t handle them all. By sharing his insights with us, he’s not losing anything and seems only to be gaining readers and friends online to further speed up his goals. Griz – you’re a genius!

Thanks for reading how to earn extra cash writing using SEO!

No comments: